Best Practices for Outsourcing Software Development
Many business owners realize that all areas are actively moving online. This is very convenient for both clients and companies. Thanks to such an online approach, some processes can be simplified, and some even can be automated. But in order to make everything work as it should, first of all, you should develop high-quality software. If everything is well thought out and developed, then in this way you will be able to make the provision of your services more efficient. Moreover it is possible to improve the success of your business as a whole.
Working on a software development project involves many things and nuances. If you have people in your team who are well versed in all of that stuff, that's great. But, sometimes the best thing you can do is to hand the project over to a reliable outsourcing software development partner. But, how to know if you need it and how to get the desired results? Keep reading to find out what useful tips we have prepared for you in this regard.
Identify your business needs
Before starting to work on a project, you should clearly define what tasks it should solve. That is, think about what you lack for better work processes and what you would like to solve with the help of software development. Also, take a moment to analyze what processes can be automated to relieve the employees' workload so that they can devote their time to more important tasks.
Analyze the market
The next step is to research the market. Focus on your competitors and the giants in your particular niche. Check out what software they use, what solutions they implement in their business and how effective they are. It will also be good if you will be aware of the market trends and what is going to be in demand in the near future.
Clearly define the idea of your future project
Once you have completed the previous steps, it's time to start defining what solution you want to implement in your business. Have a thought about the concept of the future project. Ask yourself what are the main tasks you want it to solve and in which way.
Make sure outsourcing is exactly what you need
To accurately determine whether you really need software development outsourcing, or whether you can simply go with the team augmentation method, make a realistic assessment of the scope and complexity of the project. After that, determine how it will be more convenient for you.
Team augmentation is a good option for projects of medium complexity. In this case, you will need to hire one or more professionals to your team for temporary work (within the project). But among the disadvantages may be:
- the need for additional space in the office;
- additional time to build relationships between the new workers and the inhouse staff;
- self-management of the project progress and so on.
Outsourcing, on the other hand, will be ideal if you want to fully delegate the development to a team that has been working well together for a long time. In addition, you will get full assistance at absolutely all stages of the project and you will not need to control everything, as the teams already have those who fulfill this role.
Make a list of requirements and set a budget
Before you start searching for a reliable partner to whom you will delegate the development of your software, gather your team for a meeting. Discuss and document all the requirements for the product. Next, determine how much of your budget you are willing to allocate for development and what is the ideal time frame in which you would like to complete the project. It is important to set realistic requirements and deadlines.
Choose your outsourcing partner and proceed with project development
Find a suitable outsourcing company
In order to find a team that will implement your project as you would like it to be, it is worth devoting considerable time and effort to the search. One of the most common methods of finding an outsourcing company is the internet. So, to choose the most reliable and suitable partner follow these tips:
- Find a team that is close to you. For better understanding and compatibility in the work it is worth selecting professionals of your mentality, which are in your time zone, or with a small difference in time. This will give you the opportunity to avoid mismatching of work schedules, as well as reduce the risks of misunderstandings due to different worldviews.
- Thoroughly check out the reviews. You can read customer reviews both on the company's website and on various forums. It is also a good option to ask customers personally about their experiences. This will give you a better understanding of what to expect from the company and whether it is suitable for you.
- Pay attention to the manner of communication. Choose a company that values you. Focus on the speed with which your questions are answered and in what tone. It's worth understanding how seriously these people take their work and their clients.
- Research the projects that have been developed by the company previously. Usually, the web site of outsourcing companies that deal with software development has a section where they list and describe their completed projects. Take a detailed look at each of them. Look at the quality of the work and decide if it's a good fit for you. It's especially great if their projects are in your industry.
- Look at the pricing. Do not chase too low or too high prices in the hope of getting a good outcome. It is better to choose a company that offers services in the middle price range. This way you will minimize the risks of getting a poor quality product or overpaying for services.
Choose the preferred development model
Choose a method of working on the software that suits you. At the moment there are quite a lot of such models and all of them are diverse, for example: waterfall, spiral, v-model and so on. But, we recommend you pay attention to Agile.
This type of work on the project involves breaking it into stages and constant communication with the client. This way you will always be aware of what is going on. Also it will be possible to change something in the project without losses, so you definitely get the finished product on time and without additional expenses.
Negotiate all the details onshore
Before fully immersing yourself and the outsourcing team in the development process, it is best to discuss and document all the details as soon as possible. This way, you will ensure an excellent mutual understanding between you and your partner, as well as maximize your protection against poor quality results.
Develop a workplan
Making a project work plan and sticking to it will ensure that the completion of the work on time, as well as help you to identify problem areas immediately. Agree when you want to get a progress report, when you are ready for meetings, and so on. As soon as you map out a path, everything will become really straightforward.
Control the process to get a quality result
Try to be in constant communication with the development team. Take an active part in the testing stages. If you want to add or change something, or if you have a different opinion on something, be sure to let everyone know about it. Remember that the final result is partially dependent on you and your efforts.
Consider SDH to be your partner!
Outsourcing company Software Development Hub is ready to offer you our help in developing your product. We start working on your projects from scratch. We can help you even if you are not quite sure what you want to see in the end.
Due to the fact that our team of professionals have been working together for years, they know all about mutual understanding and teamwork. We also build a trusting and friendly relationship with each of our clients. In order to work well together, it's important for us to stay in constant communication and make sure we are 100% understanding of each other.
To view all our projects that we have worked on, you can visit the corresponding section on our website. We are involved in development in different areas and therefore have a wide range of experience. Be sure that if you start cooperating with us, you will definitely become one of our thousands satisfied customers!